donutmedialab.com — Plant-Based Diet, How is it Different from Vegan and Vegetarian Diet?. Today, more and more people are switching to a plant-based diet or better known as a plant-based diet.
This diet is believed to provide many benefits, from losing weight to preventing various chronic diseases. So, what is the difference between this diet and a vegetarian and vegan diet? How to start a plant-based diet for beginners?
What is a plant-based diet?
A plant-based diet is a diet that focuses on foods from plant sources. In addition to fruits and vegetables, you also eat nuts, seeds, vegetable oils, and other foods that come from plants.
Although both involve plant-based foods, plant-based diets are not the same as vegetarian and vegan diets. The principle of this diet is to make plant foods as the main food source, but you can still eat animal products.
A plant-based diet allows you to decide for yourself what you can and can’t eat. Starting from here, you can also determine whether you will continue from a plant-based diet to a vegetarian or even vegan diet.
Types of plant-based diet
It can be said that plant-based diets are a large category that houses a variety of plant-based diets. Here are some examples of diets in this category.
A vegetarian diet is an eating pattern that focuses on the consumption of plant-based foods. People who follow this diet usually avoid or limit meat, fish, eggs, and other animal foods.
The vegetarian diet itself is further divided into the following.
- Ovo-vegetarian: do not eat animal foods except eggs.
- Lacto-vegetarian: do not eat animal foods except milk and its products.
- Lacto-ovo vegetarian: do not eat animal foods except eggs and milk and its products.
- Peskatarian: do not eat animal foods except fish and other seafood.
- Vegan: do not eat animal foods or use products of animal origin.
2. Mediterranean Diet
The Mediterranean diet refers to the healthy diet of people in countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea, such as France, Greece, and Italy. There are no specific rules in this diet, but you will eat more plant foods.
Like other plant-based diets, the Mediterranean diet is rich in fruit, vegetables, nuts, and healthy fats. You will also limit foods high in sugar and refined carbohydrates.
3. The DASH Diet
The DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) diet is a nutritionally balanced diet to nourish the cardiovascular system. You who are on this diet will eat lots of fruit, vegetables, low-fat dairy products, and fish.
Meanwhile, the taboo is foods that are high in saturated fat, such as full-fat dairy products and fatty meats. You also need to limit foods high in sodium such as instant foods, canned fruit, and sweets.
Health benefits of plant-based diet
The benefits of the Mediterranean diet, vegetarian diet, and other plant-based diets for health are undeniable.
Here are some examples of the benefits that you can get from this healthy diet.
1. Help lose weight
According to research in The Permanente Journal, people who eat plant-based foods tend to have a lower body mass index (BMI). They also have a lower risk of obesity than people who eat meat.
2. Reducing the risk of heart disease
Vegetable foods contain substances that are good for the heart, especially antioxidants and phytonutrients. According to research in the Journal of the American Heart Association, this is why a plant-based diet has the potential to reduce the risk of heart disease by 16 percent.
3. Reducing the risk of type 2 diabetes
Many studies have proven the benefits of a plant-based diet to prevent diabetes, one of which was published in the journal PLoS Medicine in 2016. In the study, it was revealed that a plant-based diet reduced the risk of type 2 diabetes by 34 percent.
4. Reduces the risk of cancer
Following a plant-based diet may reduce the risk of cancer. Vegetable foods contain various substances that help protect the body from cancer cells, such as fiber, vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients.
How to do a plant-based diet
There are no specific rules for running a plant-based diet. The key is to make plant foods your main food source
Here are the steps to get started, as reported by the Harvard Health Publishing page:
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables. Make sure you always fill your plate with colorful fruits and vegetables.
- Reduce red meat little by little. Simply make red meat as a side ingredient or try a meat substitute.
- Try to cook vegetarian dishes at least once a week.
- Breakfast with whole grains, such as oatmeal, quinoa, or brown rice. Add nuts, seeds, or processed products such as tempeh and tofu.
- Try a more varied leafy green, such as kale, lettuce, Swiss chard, or Brussels sprouts.
- Use a variety of cooking techniques for vegetables, from steaming, sauteing, boiling, to grilling.
- Always add at least one type of vegetable to your diet.
- Make fruit as a dessert so that you eat more fruit.
Example of a plant-based diet menu in a day
As long as your daily menu is dominated by plant-based foods, you can basically use any food ingredients in a plant-based diet.
In addition, you can be creative with any cooking technique or preparation. As an illustration, here is an example of a plant-based diet menu in a day.
At breakfast, you can eat the following foods:
- Oatmeal with sliced fruit and peanut butter.
- Whole wheat toast plus scrambled eggs with chopped tomatoes or spinach.
- Sourdough bread topped with sliced avocado, tomatoes, eggs, and a little pepper.
The lunch menu for your plant-based diet can be more varied than breakfast. Here’s an example:
- Red rice with tamarind and tempeh vegetables, pecel rice, or gudeg rice.
- Vegetable salad with tortilla-wrapped chicken breast.
- Spicy rice with roasted chickpeas and cauliflower.
- Brown rice or shirataki with stir-fried tofu and chickpeas.
- Baked potato with bolognese sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Vegetarian noodles with mushroom topping.
A plant-based diet is any form of diet that focuses on plant-based foods, whether in the form of a vegan, vegetarian, DASH diet, or other types of diets. The benefits are so diverse, from heart health to the potential to prevent cancer.
Thank you so much and have a nice day