donutmedialab.com — Get to know the Omni Diet, a Strict Diet that Loses Weight Quickly. If you want to lose weight fast, the omni diet might be the right choice. This diet was first introduced in 2013 by health and fitness expert Tana Amen. According to him, eating patterns on the omni diet can lose weight quickly while providing a number of health benefits.
Explore the principles of the omni diet
Of the many types of new diets that have emerged, the omni diet may not be widely known. To illustrate, an omni diet is similar to a flexitarian diet in that you can eat red meat, fish, eggs, and other animal products except dairy.
This diet also has similarities to the paleo diet in that you don’t eat wheat, potatoes, and milk and their products. Given the similar principles, these three diets also provide similar benefits.
According to research in the journal Frontiers in Nutrition, a diet with a combination of plant and animal foods has been shown to reduce weight and increase metabolism. A diet like this can also lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of diabetes.
The difference is, the omni diet has a portion division between plant and animal foods. You need to apply the 70/30 to 90/10 rule. This means you can eat 70% plant foods and 30% animal foods for about 21 hours. This timeframe is roughly the equivalent of 90% of the time of the day.
The remaining three hours are free to eat anything but the foods avoided on the omni diet. These three hours are roughly the equivalent of 10% of the time in a day. According to Tana, this balance will make the body healthier.
Types of food to eat and what to avoid
The foods consumed and avoided in an omni diet are essentially similar to a flexitarian diet. The following is a list of foods that can be consumed while on this diet:
- Low-carb vegetables include all leafy greens, bok choy, bell peppers, cabbage, brussel sprouts, and cucumbers.
- Other vegetables such as carrots, celery, eggplant, pumpkin, and tomatoes.
- Red meat, skinless poultry and all kinds of seafood.
- All kinds of eggs.
- Vegetable oils such as almond oil, coconut oil, and olive oil.
- Unsalted nuts and seeds.
- Flours other than those made from wheat.
- All kinds of herbs, spices and onions.
- The only sweetener allowed is stevia.
There are also limits in what drinks you can drink so you can reap the benefits of the omni diet. Drinks in the omni diet are those that are free of sugar or artificial sweeteners, such as water, green tea, almond milk, and rice milk.
Meanwhile, the types of food and drinks that need to be avoided include:
- All simple carbohydrates, including white rice, pasta, white bread, and cereals.
- Processed meats such as nuggets, sausages, meatballs, and the like.
- Soybeans and their products, including tofu and tempeh.
- Milk, cheese, yogurt and ice cream.
- Products made from corn.
- Cakes, donuts, candies, and similar sweets.
- All kinds of sweeteners except stevia.
- All kinds of sauces made from ingredients that are prohibited in the diet.
- All types of high-sugar drinks, including sugary juices, energy drinks, and sodas.
How to go on an omni diet
The omni diet is divided into three phases, and the duration of each phase is two weeks. Phases 1 and 2 are the most stringent. In phase 3, then you can go back to eating other foods little by little.
The following is an overview of each phase of the omni diet.
The first phase focuses on changing previously unhealthy eating patterns. You also learn to avoid processed foods that are high in fat and sugar.
Here are the rules for the first phase of the omni diet:
- Only eat foods that are allowed in the diet.
- Eat protein every 3-4 hours.
- Avoid any kind of dessert.
- Consume one small bowl (90 grams) of fruit daily.
- Drink smoothies from vegetables to replace meals.
- Only drink water without other drinks.
You need to apply these rules for the first two weeks. You also have to meet fluid needs by drinking 2 liters of water per day. Do not forget to exercise to maintain fitness and build muscle mass.
The second phase of the omni diet is the introduction to other foods. You still need to apply the rules in the first phase. However, you can eat desserts that don’t contain added sugar or flour, such as dark chocolate.
You are also advised to exercise every day. The recommended type of exercise is walking for 30 minutes, then gradually increase it until you are able to exercise full-body for 30 minutes.
In the third phase, you just need to follow the 70/30 rule for 90/10 as it was understood at the beginning of the diet. As long as you follow these rules, you can spend the remaining 10% of your time eating any type of food (though this is not recommended).
If you really want to eat foods that are prohibited in the diet, Tana suggests limiting the amount. You can still enjoy food at birthdays or weddings, but choose only one type of food to be consumed.
The omni diet is a diet that is quite effective in losing weight, but it is also very strict. For some people, the omni diet is also quite expensive because there are many basic food ingredients to avoid.
Therefore, do this diet when you are really ready. If you still need some time to get used to it, it’s a good idea to train with a flexitarian diet or a paleo diet first.